Palaeobotany is a constantly evolving subject in which research investigations undertaken by a large number of past scientists have shaped the discipline as it is today. In this section of the IOP website we present biographies and obituaries of influential palaeobotanists including pioneers whose discoveries have changed perceptions of our discipline and have altered the direction of subsequent investigations.
Please note that this is not designed to be an exhaustive list. Contributions of other notable palaeobotanists are welcome (click here to contact the site administrators).
- Artis, Edmund Tyrell (1789-1847)
- Batten, David (1943 – 2019)
- Chaloner, William (1928-2016)
- Cookson, Isabel (1893-1973)
- Delevoryas, Ted (1929 – 2017)
- Dix, Emily (1904-1972)
- Douglas, John (Jack) Gordon (1929-2007)
- Hickey, Leo, J. (1940-2013)
- Phillips, Tom (1931-2018)
- Sahni, Birbal (1891-1949)
- Schneider, Wilfrid (1938–2020)
- Stopes, Marie (1880-1958)
- Taylor, Thomas N. (1938-2016)
- Wolfe, Jack A. (1936-2005)